27 detention centers across Syria where torture was systematically inflicted on prisoners: men, women, senior citizen and children, according to testimonies from more than 200 former prisoners and security officers who defected.
Brutal torture in Syria by mukhabarat, or secret police:
a) Department of Military Intelligence
b) Political Security Directorate
c) General Intelligence Directorate
d) Air Force Intelligence Directorate.
One boy came into the cell bleeding from behind. He couldn’t walk. It was something they just did to the boys.
1) “basat al reeh” in which the prisoner is tied to a board and beaten
2) “dulab” in which torturers force the prisoner’s legs and head into a car tire before beating them
3) They threw cold water on our naked bodies and they also urinated on us
4) They pulled out my toenail by pliers and forced me to eat them
5) Electric shocks to genitals
6) Make prisoners suck their own blood on the floor
7) Syrian hospitals are torture chamber: Calcium injections by Doctors and Nurses, intravenously and rapidly causing cardiac arrest, or by using high doses of insulin causing hypoglycemic coma and finally death.”
8) Syrian soldiers, most of whom “were shot from behind when they refused to kill the civilians.”
9) Sexual violence in detention is one of many horrific weapons in the Syrian government’s torture arsenal and Syrian security forces regularly use it to humiliate and degrade detainees with complete impunity
10) Systemic torture and killing of detained persons – Emaciated, beaten or strangled
12) Constantly being beaten with a cable or a stick
13) The guards particularly liked to deliver blows to your fingernails
14) “water boarding”, this method of torture includes electricity and water
15) Syrian intelligence officers, soldiers and pro-government militias as the ones who detain, torture and rape civilians
16) Rape is a common tactic to silence the opposition
17) They used electric stun guns on my genitals
18) Hang detainees from the ceilings by their hands for days
19) They pour hot water on people and whip them
20) Sexual threats against the detainees and their families
21) Government forces and pro-government shabiha militia members have also sexually assaulted women and girls during home raids and residential sweeps
22) One boy came into the cell bleeding from behind. He couldn’t walk. It was something they just did to the boys.
Read more articles:
Brutal torture in Syria
Syrian military defector: ‘Those who were injected are lucky’
Starved, tortured then throttled: The true horror of how Assad’s soldiers execute rebel prisoners
Survivors Of Syria’s Torture Chambers Describe Horror