A direct assault on the medical system by the Syrian Assad government as a strategy of war.
1) 50+ of the country’s 88 public hospitals have closed because of the ongoing conflict. Many of them in contested areas or in areas outside of government control.
2) Syrian troop forces began detaining doctors, pharmacists, nurses, dentists, relief workers in Homs and other contested areas.
3) The deliberate destruction of pharmacies affects more than the war-wounded.
4) Destruction of power plants by the Syrian troops means no electricity, making it impossible to maintain a cold-chain for vaccines. X-Ray machines and operating room lights are dependent on generators.
5) Paramedics have been tortured and used as human shields.
6) Ambulances have been targeted by snipers and missiles.
7) Emergency medical squads are routinely prevented from evacuating not only wounded rebel fighters but also injured children and other civilians from rebel-held territory.
Direct attacks on medical workers and patients are not only appalling, they also violate the Geneva Conventions.
#Syria #ASSAD #AssadCrimes #AssadWarcrimes #AssadGenocide #AssadHolocaust #syria_crisis #syria_conflict #syriacivilwar #torture #syrian_torture #syrian_refugees #childrenofsyria #Damascus #Aleppo