* Those willing to convert to Islam are married off to militants but those maintaining their faith are trafficked as sex slaves, abused and imprisoned.
* They beat us with cables, starved us and made us wash our faces with petrol.
* They will sell girls to whoever wants to buy them – girls aged nine and over.
* Some men bought two or three, even four or five at once. It’s shameful.
* They took all our girls. The world must help us.
* We’re a minority here and there’s no strong lobby to support us. We ask for support from those governments that care about human rights and humanity.
As per news reports, hundreds of Iraqi Yazidi girls and women are being held by the Islamic State (IS) militants and sold and bought as war bounty. Torture, rape and killings are part of treatment meted out to these unfortunate souls. There is no trace of more than 200 Nigerian school girls earlier kidnapped by Boko Haram (BH). Sad that all this is being done in the name of religion. But for sure, we all know what IS and BH are doing is not new in the mankind history. Every group and empire had been doing the same in medieval times.
Today, the world has forgotten all that as a horrible nightmare; perhaps IS and BH are here to wake us from the dream that the world has moved forward on human rights and equality. Though the west and regional powers have taken serious note of these ruthless murderers, we need boots on the ground to chase them out. Time is running out – we have to save these poor Yazidi girls and women from the wicked enslavement of IS.